Monday, April 18, 2011

Aimee Mullins's Incredible Excess of Legs

My first time watching Aimee Mullins's TEDTalk was just not enough. I immediately replayed her presentation titled "Accessible design in Prosthetics". During the lecture she told about her personal experience with teaching children how prosthetics could not only improve people beyond the realm of human capability, but beautify them beyond that boundary as well. What she considers something that matters is Poetry, or as some would put it, beauty. The speaker showed several of the marvelous legs she had, which served only as mediums for fashion and beauty. Including a pair of carved ash legs designed by Alexander McQueen. The legs she was wearing during the presentation augmented her height to five inches over her regular 5'8".

After my first watching of the video my thought was that she was so lucky, and then I was a little upset with myself for thinking that someone with a disability was luckier than I. However, in truth, she is rather lucky. Due to the disability she has, she is able to become what I and many others cannot. She has the unlimited potential to interchange the form and/or function she wants to employ daily. After my second watching, the thought of what I would do without my legs sent shivers up and down my spine. Though the improvements to Ms. Mullins quality of life are incredible, I would never be able to continue with the things I had recently started loving to do; dance, running, and building my calves. Though they seem trivial it is these things that separate empathy from jealousy, but TED has increased technology's influence so much that one day I may move from empathizing to really wanting prosthetics.



Aimee Mullins's TEDTalk Inspired me to look into the monetary cost of prosthetics and I found that the average cost of a prosthetic limb is about 10000 dollars. Though it seems a staggering amount, this is partially covered by insurance, and with advancements like those Aimee has been behind, prosthetics may become even cheaper in the same way advanced technology does. There may soon be a world where the disabled are hyper-abled.


No comments:

Post a Comment