Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sir Ken Robinson's TED Talk Takeaways

Sir Ken Robinson is a british author and and international authority on teaching strategies. During his TED Talk, he spoke about the different ways to approach different styles of learning. His main message was that everyone has the potential to maintain their inherent creativity. The example he used was a famous choreographer and dancer who had been told she would not be successful in regularschool; however, when she was brought to a school that catered to her need for movement and flow she excelled beyond all expectations.
Sir Robinson made the point to mention that all children, either right or left brained, are born with creativity which is broken down by the systems of schooling currently used worldwide. Their only goal is to make stencil cut students that fit needs of an old society. They way he made his message even more poignant was to delivery it simply and with little injections of humor so the near 20 minute presentation didn't get dull. He was obviously very comfortable talking about this subject which was so valuable to him.
Personally, I value Sir Ken Robinson's presentation because he really knew how to get his point across well and because I am in the middle of the broken system he was talking about. I also think that he has a great understanding of the design aspect of TED and after re-watching his presentation I see how he truly belongs at the seminar. Additionally, I haven't noticed for myself that my learning has been damaged by school systems, but my brother and some of my friends have been the types of learners that need different ways of being taught. They are failed by the public systems and consequently they tend to fail in the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment