Sunday, April 24, 2011

Clay Shirky and Cognitive Surplus

The TEDTalk by Clay Shirky was one that I found incredibly interesting. This is because it uses entirely tangible concepts to look into the future. There is an attitude throughout the video that whatever is produced through cognitive surplus will be a good thing, as it will further develop an open source economy and will change the structure of how humans operate. His presentation went along with some of the ideas discussed by Daniel Pink when it comes to intrinsic motivation and the change towards an open source economy. He additionally spoke on the usefulness of societal values. He used a study of day care pick up times as a way to exemplify this.

The way Mr. Shirky delivered his speech was indicative of his supreme knowledge of his subject. After watching it several times it made me think of the ways I spend my time. So for one day, Saturday to be specific, I kept a log of all of my activities to see how much free time I would have to contribute to the world that is larger than my small microcosmic existence.
  • I spent 30 minutes showering and preparing in general
  • 2 hours of dance and 15 minutes of biking back and forth from the studio
  • 5 hours of hanging out with my friend Elaine and roughly 20 minutes of driving
  • 40 minutes of running on my treadmill
  • 1 hour for a relaxing bath
  • a few hours of miscellaneous activity and homework
  • sleeping after starting on homework and then stopping


Keeping this log allowed me to really see what Mr. Shirky was talking about when he said that we have an immense amount of time on our hands and at least some of that should be spent for the betterment of all people, not just ourselves. I myself could have probably done 8 hours of something just as rewarding as any of the other things I chose to do, and have made a better impact on the world. The same is probably true for many other people, my age and older, at least twice a week. It is not difficult to envision a world, which through the use of technology and human generosity, is better for everyone, because of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment